Monday, April 12, 2010

Short Film: The Atheist -- Dumbest thing I've seen in a while.



God doesn't want a good world he wants a super good world so he makes evil exist. And evil is like the hole in a doughnut or simply the absence of good. So let me get this straight, God is required by freewill to make a world where suffering can eventually exist. But what about natural disasters? Is it really the product of free will to kill tens of thousands in Haiti (what ever happened to that place, I assume it all turned out okay if they stopped paying attention on the news) or a quarter million during the Boxing Day Tsunami. What free will brought that about? And what logical contradiction is wrought by not allowing a young child to be tortured, raped, and killed? If I endeavor to stop such things, am I denying the rapist his free will? And if this world is suppose to be the greatest world God could create without a logical contradiction (Plantinga's argument) then certainly I could do nothing to make this world better, but I really think I can. Further, Christian doctrine suggests that there is something called "Heaven" which is suppose to be a better world, so if true then this can't really be the best world possible.

I've always been an advocate that the best theodicies (proposed answers to the problem of evil) are all themselves worse than the problem of evil. They try to violate one of the premises without seeming too terrible. If God is all-powerful, all-good, and is able to remove evil, then there should be no evil. Since there is evil, it must be the case that God is not all-powerful or god is not all-good. Also, fun side note Isaiah 45 has god say "I create evil." a few lines before insisting that nobody is besides him (a pretty silly notion for a God who sacrificed himself to himself to sit at his own right hand).

Such apologetics even jazzed up in a video are still crap. Go figure.

No comments: