I'm in favor of completely tearing down the faith based initiatives... and so is Obama. We're going to expand this program and enforce a couple rules. For example, "Can only use taxpayer dollars on secular programs and initiatives", and "cannot discriminate".
- Cannot use federal funds to proselytize or provide religious sectarian instruction.
- Cannot discriminate against nonmembers in providing services. They must remain open to all and cannot practice religious discrimination against the populations they serve.
- Must comply with federal anti-discrimination laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Religious organizations that receive federal dollars cannot discriminate with respect to hiring for government-funded social service programs.
- Can only use taxpayer dollars on secular programs and initiatives.
- Must prove their efficacy and be judged based on program effectiveness.
Changing a blank check to religions groups into a check for secular services rendered, that's what we had before. I'm sure it sounds better to evangelicals to say we're expanding it when really he's putting it back to what it was before.
Still makes me feel dirty. Spares him from shooting himself in foot. You can't come out and say you're supporting secular government community help and are ripping faith-based initiatives to shreds. *eh* Still makes me feel dirty.