Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fractals, trees, and palms --- oh my!


Fractals are a great and important insight that is often the way real life maps into mathematics. We owe Mandelbrot deeply for his insight into this realm of mathematics. They really are a fascinating subject and the intersection with natural and self-similar design structure within evolved solutions to real problem are quite important and impressive.







Much of my love for fractals in nature is sort of tweaked by the bits of nature that doesn't use it. Palm trees aren't fractal. The fronds aren't fractal and neither is the trunk. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but there's no part of the tree that looks anything like the entire tree or any other part. I know nature does what works, and palm trees are a very successful species and fractals work in some cases but are not necessary by any stretch. Watching the trees riding in a car, and viewing the self similarities of branch to tree to forest was a somewhat enjoyable way of passing the time. Then I looked at a palm tree and was stopped dead in my tracks. That's not a damned fractal! So annoying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"fratals". well played.

Tatarize said...

doh

Tatarize said...

Sometimes I hate this built in spellchecker. It works really nicely for most text boxes but then I type elsewhere and think everything is fine in other text boxes, while in reality I actually screwed up and I didn't c my mistake.

Steven said...

A palm tree is a clear example of a fractal. You just have to stare at it from above, and you will see the golden ratio in the growth and arrangement of the fronds. Also, the grove (stand) as a whole is a fractal, as are the cellular structures at the microscopic level.