Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Social Justice, Gay Marriage, Rightness.

I've supported gay marriage for decades (literally since 1993 when I first heard it was a thing) and thought the constitutional argument was pretty cut and dry. I mean it's the exact argument in Loving applied to gender rather than race. But, nothing happened. All the court cases were against it and every time people voted, they voted against it. Then, a couple years back. Support crept into a majority and like a whirlwind it all came crumbling down.

As much as I would like to believe that a minority with justice on their side can win for the sake of justice itself, I must say that the truth is getting more than half of the citizens in a democracy on your side, seems more effective with regard to social change than being right.

No comments: